Skip to main content

Hacktoberfest - Pull Request #2 : Rhymus

In my previous post, I announced and explained my first pull request for this year's Hacktoberfest event, where I contributed to the documentation of CMS program called RawCMS. I also mentioned that documentation was simply a starting point for me as I aimed to contribute to the code/content of an actual application for my next pull request. I can proudly say that I succeeded in reaching this goal for my second pull request, as I was able to contribute to a project called Rhymus.



The Project: Rhymus

Rhymus is an open-source web based game written in HTML, CSS and Javascript. It presents the user with word based puzzles to help users improve their vocabulary and familiarity with some common expressions, Phrases and/or common expressions are shown with on of the words being replaced with a rhyme for the original. The user must input what the correct word is, and has the option to take a hint for less point. The game has a scoring system to measure the users success. All in all, I found it to be a fun project that would be very helpful for those looking to expand their vocabulary. I can see it being useful for foreign individuals who are still learning the English language.


The Issue - More Puzzles Wanted

An issue was posted by the creator of the project and was labelled with "Hacktoberfest", which is how I found this project. The creator was requesting to add some more puzzles to the game. I felt I was well equipped to do this given my background in web development along with my proficiency in English. I went ahead and commented that I will attempt to add 15 puzzles.


After reading the documentation, forking the repo and familiraizing myself with the code base I began to understand how the puzzles were created and loaded onto the UI. Each puzzle was a JSON object inside in array in a file called "puzzles.js". I went ahead and create 15 more objects with the same structure and members as the existing puzzles, and populated the fields with an ID, apuzzle phrase, a hint, and the answer. At this point the technical challenge was solved, but the real challenge was coming up with 15 unique and clever puzzles. 

The Pull Request

After adding 15 puzzles to "Puzzles.Js", I tested and pushed the changes. My first pull request attempt had some changes requested upon review. This was in regards to a minor syntactical issue and a rephrasing of one of the puzzles due to the possibility of it being misinterpreted. I went ahead and made the corrections, and requested a re-review. The creator thanked me for my work and merged my contributions into the master branch of the project.


Next Steps for HacktoberFest

My goal was to improve with each pull request and I can proudly say I have so far. This week I added content to an application that is now live and visible within the project.

The next steps from here would be to fix a code bug, add a feature (not just content), or improve an existing functionality.

I am eager to report my next major step in becoming an open-source contributor!

Stay tuned for the next pull request in about one week!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lab 8 - Contribution Goals for CDOT Telescope & LifeStyle E-Commerce

After successfully completing Hacktoberfest, we move onto bigger and better challenges in open source. By November 15th I have the following goals to complete: 1. Contribute to a bigger issue on an open-source project (no more "good-first-issue" tags). 2. Contribute to CDOT Telescope, an internal project built by my fellow classmates. In this post I will break down my issue and goal for each goal. External Project- LifeStyle E-Commerce  This is a project I found in hacktoberfest and fixed a styling alignment bug for. You can find the full details of my contribution in my previous post.   If you are already familiar wit the project, you can skip the overview section. Overview Lifestyle E-ommerce is a front-end project for building an online store. It supplies various well designed pages for front-end developers to customize and utilize as a starting point for their e-commerce projects, whether it be for themselves or their clients. I gravitated towards this proj

Release 0.4 - My Internal Pull Request to Telescope

After a frantic 12 weeks, we have arrived at Release 0.4 - AKA the final release for the DPS909 Open-source course. Much like the previous release I covered, this release is comprised of two parts: an internal pull request to CDOT Telescope, and a more challenging external pull request to an open-source project. To improve your reading experience, I've also split my blog up into two parts. This post will be covering my internal contribution to CDOT Telescope. For a full description on what Telescope is, please refer to my previous pos t where I introduced it in detail, or the official overview . The Issue -  Search icon floating with window resize  Demonstration of the floating search issue Another student had added a dynamically floating search bar to the front end, however it was not functioning correctly as it would sporadically float around as you scroll or resize the page.  The initial hypothesis was that it was positioned relative to the view port cs it's