Skip to main content

Release 0.4 - My Internal Pull Request to Telescope

After a frantic 12 weeks, we have arrived at Release 0.4 - AKA the final release for the DPS909 Open-source course. Much like the previous release I covered, this release is comprised of two parts: an internal pull request to CDOT Telescope, and a more challenging external pull request to an open-source project.

To improve your reading experience, I've also split my blog up into two parts. This post will be covering my internal contribution to CDOT Telescope.

For a full description on what Telescope is, please refer to my previous post where I introduced it in detail, or the official overview.


The Issue - Search icon floating with window resize 

search-icon-bug
Demonstration of the floating search issue
Another student had added a dynamically floating search bar to the front end, however it was not functioning correctly as it would sporadically float around as you scroll or resize the page.

 The initial hypothesis was that it was positioned relative to the view port cs it's container. However adjusting the property did not solve the issue and introduced even more problems as the buttons stopped responding. In fact, any positional or relational changes to the it's properties would break it. My assumption was that this code was likely taken from another source without being fully understood.

The Pull Request - Replacing the Search Bar

image
Screenshot of new functional search bar
The best course of action here was to implement a search bar with an implementation that was understood and uniform with the Boostrap MD theme that was already chosen for the website. I went through the documentation for the theme and found a search bar. I went ahead and implemented it and customized it's sizing, spacing, and co louring to match. The result was a very clean, functional search bar the suit the theme of the website and it's neighboring elements very well.

After passing some reviews, it was merged into the master branch.

Whats next?
That sums it up for mt internal contribution. For a summary of my external contribution, check out my next post.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release 0.3 - Pull Requests Telescope & LifeStyle Ecommerce

In my previous post, I revealed the issues I will be attempting to resolve in order to contribute for an internal project and an external project. I also detailed the projects themselves, so if you haven't already read my previous post, I would advise starting there to give my current post some context.

I can successfully say I reached the goals I set for both the external and internal project in my previous post. Keep reading to find out how I did this, and the challenges I overcame.

Internal Pull Request Adding Pagination to CDOT Telescope
This issue was assigned to me by a colleague and was much trickier than I initially anticipated. The issue simply required to implement paginating functionality to the front end, so that the blog posts are displayed in pages instead of all  being displayed in one very long scrollable feed.
The first challenge came with the starting point. The home page was designed with a very specific bootstrap library (MD Bootsrap) that had some different con…

Hacktoberfest - Pull Request #3 : Improving Rhymus' UI

In my previous post, I announced and explained my second pull request for this year's Hacktoberfest event, where I added puzzles to Rhymus, a web based word-puzzle game designed to improve a users vocabulary.


The Project: Rhymus

If you have already read my description of Rhymus in my previous post, you can go ahead and skip to "The Issue" section.

Rhymus is an open-source web based game written in HTML, CSS and Javascript. It presents the user with word based puzzles to help users improve their vocabulary and familiarity with some common expressions, Phrases and/or common expressions are shown with on of the words being replaced with a rhyme for the original. The user must input what the correct word is, and has the option to take a hint for less point. The game has a scoring system to measure the users success. All in all, I found it to be a fun project that would be very helpful for those looking to expand their vocabulary. I can see it being useful for foreign…

Micro-Note : My First Steps into Open Source

I just finished building Micro-Note, a simple web based note taking application. While it is not the most innovative app, it marks my first steps into the world of open source. Not only was I able to learn and exercise essential Git skills including the creation and operation of a repo, but also brush up on my web development basics. This involved both features found on the GitHub web app, and the Git command line interface. I found this highly useful as I am aware Git will be a part of my career moving forward, whether it be for open source or other ventures as a developer.

The app is simple and fairly self explanatory.  It allows the user to input notes into the web page and save them to continue or edit them later if needed. It is built with the standard web stack, HTML5, CSS, and JavaScript. It uses the FilerJS Browser Filesystem libraryto save the user input to a local file so the user can save and resume their note-taking at later time.  This was helpful as it allowed me to brus…